Monday 23 July 2012

Craft Beer Base, Osaka


I'll try not to skip my information sources here because I believe that it's an integral part of creating your own network in Japan. Here's how I came to the bar Craft Beer Base.

I gave a presentation about Ji-beer at Pecha-kucha night in Kyoto (vol.7) back in June (organized by the indefatigable Eric Leong, who invited me to speak). There were a couple of guys from Ritsume University came up to me and said they know someone who I have to meet; a gentleman by the name of Chris Hainge. We have since been in sporadic contact and though we've never met face to face, he did invite me on Saturday night to a place called "Craft Beer Base:" a newly opened Ji-beer bar in the Umeda area in Osaka. Though I wasn't able to make it then, I dragged Naoharu Tatara (a web designer from my office with his own company, cahier), along tonight to see what this place was about.

They have a very nice cellar of Belgium beers, by also stock a good selection of Ji-beer and a few imports. The beers on tap rotate in and out. Though there is a charge to drink a bottle at the bar, the beers are clearly labeled with a 'take home' price, which makes them double as a bottle shop. And the prices are very reasonable. Baird Brewery's Suruga Bay Imperial IPA and Rising Sun Pale Ale come highly reccomended, but I had a bottle of Angry Boy Brown Ale. Baird is a leader in Ji-beer makers in Japan, but it was my first beer from them still.

Interview to follow!


Craft Beer Base
Bottle shop, 11:00 - 20:00, Cafe: 11:00 - 23:00
Closed Irregularly. Check ahead. 不定休 

大阪市北区大淀南1-2‐11 (梅田スカイビルより徒歩2分)
1-2-11, Oyodominami, Kita-ku, Osaka (2 minutes walk from Umeda Sky Building)
Tel. 06 6131 7015
www.craftbeerbase.com

No comments:

Post a Comment